University of Toronto Student-Run Organization uses Tocca to Host a Successful Alumni-Student Networking Event
OVERVIEW: About the Career Development Association
As a graduate student-run initiative at the Department of Medical Biophysics at the University of Toronto, the Career Development Association connects graduate students with alumni in diverse career paths to help graduate students figure out their next steps after finishing their degrees.
As co-chairs of the Career Development Association, two Ph.D. candidates from the University’s Department of Medical Biophysics needed a virtual event platform to host their signature networking event. The goal of the event was to connect Medical Biophysics alumni with current graduate students. After looking into several platforms, they found several limitations:
- Pricing: most options were too pricey for the budget of a student-run organization
- Limited Breakout Rooms: though Zoom’s most basic level was free for a limited time (40 minutes for 3+ attendees), it didn’t satisfy the organization’s need for hosting the 30 breakout rooms needed.
The co-chairs ultimately decided to go with Tocca its:
- Aesthetic: the event interface looked professional and had the ability to be branded, attractive, and easy to navigate for attendees.
- Functionality: Tocca’s capability to live stream the discussion panel as well as meet their essential need of multiple breakout rooms which facilitated networking conversation, which were the backbone of the event overall.
- Fair pricing: with an annual fee, the organization can host as many events as they need to without paying per event.
- Customer support: Tocca provided training sessions and 24/7 support before and during, and a debrief after the event.
- 1 Day Event
- 1 Panel Session & 3 Networking Sessions in 37 rooms
- 84 Attendees & 16 Alumni Speakers
The Medical Biophysics Alumni Student Networking Event was a huge success. Key takeaways:
- Amazing feedback from participating students, who said the platform was easy to use and intuitive
- Attendees loved the branded aesthetics of Tocca’s event platform
- “We really appreciated the post-event analytics.” The co-founders loved that they could use post-event analytics to gauge engagement during the event.